Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I Am Better Than I Thought I Was...Than I Gave Myself Credit For

Today, being "Donna Day", otherwise known as Wednesday, I had Bible Study this morning. As always, it was fun. However, AFTER Bible Study, I had my first (in MANY MANY MANY years) PIANO LESSON!!!!! I am very excited. To save some typing, I am going to copy a comment I made on Pastor Brother Brian's Blog today...

You said "every once in a while, we do something that brings, into our lives, our own happiness and joy." I needed to hear that Brian. I know that there are certain people in my life who are, and will continue to be very angry with me for spending money on a guitar and a piano for myself. I have sacrificed a lot for my little family over the years. As I mentioned in my Blog the other day, I feel I have wasted over $200,000.00 of Mom and Dad's hard earned money because I have not been able to use the abilities that that money provided for (that being my piano playing). You heard for yourself when I played for your church that I am no where near where I was when you used to come to my piano recitals! However, I had only had my piano for about a week at that point, and every day I am getting better and better. I had my first piano lesson today. Juliet said that I have not forgotten as much as I thought I had. AND she said I have a lovely touch, and whoever it was that taught me, taught me well. I told her, "She did, and I miss her very much."
The "whoever it was that taught me" was Mrs Mather. And she was very special to me. My heart shattered when she moved away and thus ended my piano lessons. I loved her very much. She was a wonderful woman, a wonderful teacher, a wonderful mentor, a wonderful Christian... I learned more than just music from her. And for Juliet to give her the compliment that she did brings tears to my eyes (I know, it doesn't take much!)
I remember the last time I saw her, about 1998 I think, and I played for her, very roughly, sight-reading, the words she said to me. Very similar to what Juliet said, "Even after all this time without an instrument, she still has that lovely touch." Then she proceeded to tell Al he needed to get me an instrument soon. Well, this isn't "soon", but I finally got one, and I promise to not only make my mother proud, but to do justice to the amazing teacher that I had.
Juliet told me to bring books 1&2, so we should start at the beginning, as I told her I had lost so much. I took 1-4, just because I am stubborn that way! So, I hauled out my grade 4 book and played something. Juliet took it away. She pulled out a grade 5 book from her shelf and we started there. She said next time, bring book 6, and probably book 7! She figures I won't need her long, as if I get much past that I will have to go to the conservatory... She actually asked me what it was that I wanted/needed from her because I really could get back there on my own... I think I just need someone to keep me on track, to remind me of the technical things, to FORCE me to play my scales... All those things that Mrs Mather did. To let me know what I am doing wrong, what I am doing right, for moral support, etc, etc, etc... All in all, I was very happy at the outcome of my lesson today, and can't wait for my next one in 2 weeks to go in knowing the entire grade 5 book. That is what I need a teacher for. Someone to preform for, to keep me focused when I have so many things in my life to distract me.
So that was my Piano Lesson... I came home, made a few phone calls, sent a few emails that needed to be attended to, then headed to my heated back massager with my Bible Study book for tonight. I hope this weather breaks soon, because the pain in my body is becoming unbearable!
***Just got this email from Juliet, have to share it, it, too, brought tears to my eyes***
Just thought I'd tell you that I was impressed with your playing today. I'm really glad you have a piano because you seem to have a natural aptitude for the instrument as well as a real love for the music you play. I think it will be great for you on emotionally rough days especially to be able to sit down and play and lose yourself in the music even if it's only for a half hour. I find it does recharge my batteries and help me relax. Would you be interested in playing some piano duets? I have lots of one piano duets and some 2 piano.
I love the piano. I love music. It has always been my solace.
My Man~Child made supper... He made meatloaf. It wasn't bad either! Though, leave it to a teen aged boy to cook only meat...no veggies, no nothing else! Haha He is so funny. Queenie and I got "de-scented" to go to my Bible Study tonight, then dropped the boys off at Youth and headed to Julie's.
Group there was nice. I did not make her sick today! I was very happy about that. The other folks who are going to join the group could not make it, for one reason or another (travel, baby-sitter trouble, etc), so it was just Julie and Tim and me. I really enjoyed it though. It is going to be nice to go with Al when he gets home. I miss this time we always had together going to Bill and Lois's before THEY moved away.
So, now I am home. I will be heading to bed shortly. Hope everyone had a "splendiferous" day! (Bet the spell checker will catch that one! ;) ) {It did...haha}

And so, today, this is...
Life As I Know It

10 comments:

Life As I Know It / A Light In The Harbour said...

Sorry everyone about the lack of spaces. For some reason it would not allow me to put breaks between the paragraphs. Sorry Chelle! I tried, I really did!

Anonymous said...

Donna, that was a beautiful tribute and made me want to cry. If I had half your talent to play an instrument I would feel incredibly blessed. I love music and it's taken me a long time to finally realized that music is my "Jordan Catalano" - I am pledging myself to learn the guitar so that I can use my voice in the way that I believe it was intended. Perhaps in the future you, Tanya and I can begin a travelling band. (You'll probably have to learn some of the songs from "RENT" b/c Tanya and I are addicted to it).
Love always,
~Sandy

Life As I Know It / A Light In The Harbour said...

Well, I am teaching myself the guitar. If I can, you can. And yes we definitley should play together. But if I have to learn some RENT songs you have to learn some Contemporary Christian songs (and East Coast music, of course!)
Love you...

Anonymous said...

Donna, as always you have an amazing way with words...(You will write that book one day I know it)... As you do with words, you have an amazing ability to play the piano...Nanny is proud of you, sitting in Heaven placing her hands up on yours as you remember, not relearn. Her and Grampie are sitting back and saying "Thats my daughter". Mrs. Mather would be just as proud. You are always inspiring all of us to learn something new, as you are with the guitar. I can hardly wait to hear you play without stopping and saying "my fingers forget what to do"...It is not that they forgot, they just need to remember where to go and what keys to press. As always, you are in my prayers, not just so that you can remember how to play the piano but for everything in your life. We are all very lucky to have you in our lives. You are a blessing and an inspiration to us all.

Life As I Know It / A Light In The Harbour said...

Elizabeth,
Anyone can learn new things. They just have to have a passion. Fortunately, I am passionate about a lot of things. (Well, non-math related things...)
I never thought of myself an "inspiration"... I just do what I love to do, and hope to be a blessing to others as other bless me as I travel through this life. Thank You Elizabeth.

Anonymous said...

You inspire me to learn how to cook...haha...still learning...

April Mullen said...

I love the piano too, and singing... both of which I think you do pretty well. See? We even have something in common.

That was a lovely story about your piano teacher. What I mostly remember about mine are the little marks she used to make at the end of my pages when we had finally finished one. I think yours is a much better memory.

Have a great one!

Life As I Know It / A Light In The Harbour said...

Hi April,

Thanks for stopping by!

Yes my piano teacher was like a second mother to me.

I can remember the odd time I would have to go there right after school because for one reason or another my regular time conflicted with something. She always had a bologna sandwich and a coke waiting for me.

Perhaps we'll have to sing together sometime when I am down! Wouldn't that be a treat!

April Mullen said...

Donna-Jean,

I will wait with sincere anticipation to be the other half of a duet with you!

Cheers!

Life As I Know It / A Light In The Harbour said...

Well, let's keep it a secret from Pastor Brother Brian...

I told him that made him sound like an ordained Monk! haha

But it suits him.