Wednesday, March 14, 2007

"Donna Day"

Today was Wednesday, and being so it was "Donna Day". "Donna Day" was instituted many, many years ago, and originated as "Donna & Sheri Day", which meant that anybody with the names Donna or Sheri did not have to go to class that day. Back then it was normally on a Tuesday or a Thursday, as those were the days I had a 3 hour Psych class at Acadia (which I hated!). Sheri and I would go to the Coffee Merchant and have some delectable, flavored coffee and a HUGE cinnamon bun, then wander around town for a while, and ultimately end up back at her dorm room for a nap. Ah, those were the days...

"Donna Day" took a long hiatus during my child bearing and pre-school years, well, actually, until about 4 years ago. Four years ago, when we moved here I started to go to a Ladies' Bible Study on Wednesday mornings, and so began, once again, the institution of "Donna & Sheri Day", but since I do not know what happened to Sheri after we moved to New Brunswick for several years, it, out of necessity, had to be shortened to "Donna Day", and modified a bit.

"Donna Day" now means that I do not do anything, really, for anyone buy Donna. I go to Bible Study in the morning. Usually spend the afternoon visiting with a friend, shopping, or doing something equally fun, and not "work" related...not that I actually "work", but I do have a family and a house to look after. The one thing I do on "Donna Day" is cook supper, but even today I did not do that. Al did, bless him! Then after supper was our mixed Bible Study which Al and I went to together when the boys were at Youth Group. This ended, sadly, when Bill moved his family (and my Lois) to pastor a church in Doaktown. Since then, after dropping the boys at Youth Al and I would end up at the mall or Tim's or something (with Queenie, every other week, when she wasn't at Girl's Group).

So, now you have the history of "Donna Day", we shall get to today's "Donna Day". It started out the same, I went to meet with the Ladies' Bible Study (only we did not do a lesson today, we had Tea and looked at all of Juliet's beautiful photos of New Zealand, and the Fiji Islands, and California, and Nevada, and Arizona, and The Grand Canyon, and The Hoover Dam. And we did not feel the least bit bad when she told how returning to the "ice and snow" was such a shock!)

After our Tea Time at Kelly's, I came home and helped Cody practice his guitar a bit, and practiced myself. Of course, this SEEMS like a non-"Donna Day" thing to do, but I enjoyed it, so it counted.

Then I decided that I needed to finish Girls In Pants: The Third Summer of the Sisterhood. I am ready now for Forever In Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood, however, it is still in hardcover so I will have to be patient... So, very much, not like me, I know!

Then, in keeping with the original institution of "Donna & Sheri Day", I had a glorious nap! Slept right through supper (had a banana when I woke up. Note to self: EAT BETTER!)

Al had taken the boys and their cousin to Youth, so I thought I would go along with him to pick them up and take Kelly the little pressie I forgot to take her this morning. We stopped at Tim's on the way home, well, the drive-thru anyway, and got a tea.

After we came home, I practiced my piano for a little bit, then did some work on my Blogs. Which brings us up to right now. Right now I am getting Wednesday's Post in on Wednesday as it is still only 11:22pm! Then I am going to go bed and hope that my Sailor is still awake so we can have a cuddle before I start my lesson for next week's Bible Study.

Do you have a "Donna-type Day"? If not, you really should. Taking time for YOU is so important. And to steal L'Oreal's slogan...You are worth it!



And so, today, this is...
Life As I Know It

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Donna Day...Excellent plan. I think when my kids are in school I will definitely have to instate Kelly Day. You know...in another 4.5 years. :)

Life As I Know It / A Light In The Harbour said...

Well Kelly, I think you definitely should! And if I am still around, perhaps we can have a few "Kelly & Donna Day's". ;)