A cholesteatoma is a skin growth that occurs in an abnormal location, the
middle ear behind the eardrum. It is usually due to repeated infection, which
causes an ingrowth of the skin of the eardrum. Cholesteatomas often take the
form of a cyst or pouch that sheds layers of old skin that builds up inside the
ear. Over time, the cholesteatoma can increase in size and destroy the
surrounding delicate bones of the middle ear. Hearing loss, dizziness, and
facial muscle paralysis are rare but can result from continued cholesteatoma
growth.
A cholesteatoma usually occurs because of poor eustachian tube function as
well as infection in the middle ear. The eustachian tube conveys air from the
back of the nose into the middle ear to equalize ear pressure ("clear the
ears"). When the eustachian tubes work poorly perhaps due to allergy, a cold or
sinusitis, the air in the middle ear is absorbed by the body, and a partial
vacuum results in the ear. The vacuum pressure sucks in a pouch or sac by
stretching the eardrum, especially areas weakened by previous infections. This
sac often becomes a cholesteatoma. A rare congenital form of cholesteatoma (one
present at birth) can occur in the middle ear and elsewhere, such as in the
nearby skull bones. However, the type of cholesteatoma associated with ear
infections is most common.http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/ears/cholesteatoma.cfm
I believe they are still sending it away to be analysed, that is common procedure. She comes back down to see the doctor on the 26th. They sent her home the next day!
Saturday after I left the hospital I went and picked up my newly fixed bracelet ~ YAY! Then I went to pick up my Man~Child's girlfriend to come to the house for the day. We watched a movie while Al went and helped the neighbours move some heavy stuff to their new house, then we all went to the Coopers' for supper. After we finished watching the movie I took her back to her aunt's house. It was rather teary because she was leaving the next day for her home about 90 minutes or so away.
Turns out Saturday wasn't good bye anyway. She came home with us from church yesterday for a few hours, then I took her back to her aunt's house so they could go meet up with her mom, and so everyone was all sad and teary-eyed again.
When I got back, I went over to the neighbours where Al was helping to move and (although I did not do much), I stayed around and chatted and stuff til they were done for the day.
Al just went back over and I am going to get dressed and head over myself. I hope they weather stays nice!
Happy Monday everyone!
And so, today, this is...
Life As I Know It
3 comments:
Thanks for the update on your sister. I am happy to hear that it seems like a common problem. Sending lots of prayers and love your way.
You guys must be awesome neighbours.. helping people move is so nice wish I lived closer, we could have made a party out of it. Hope you have a wonderful Happy monday.
I don't know about being awesome, just doing what we can.
You could always come on over whenever you feel like sitting on the patio!
Sorry to hear about your sister...I hope she's recovering well from her surgery. :)
Post a Comment