Monday, November 19, 2007

Festival Angels

This is how we spent Sunday morning, when we "should" have been in church. But sometimes, as important as church is, there are things that are, maybe not MORE important, but at least AS important as church is, and being with other Military Families who are experiencing deployment, and who understand what it is really like to be celebrating Christmas without Daddy/Husband, is one of those things.




Victoria and Santa.



Cody and Santa.



All of us with Santa.


Yesterday we went to "Festival Angels" at the mall. This is what it was about...


Holiday Angel Celebration

This Holiday Season, Halifax Shopping Centre is honouring our Canadian
Forces. On Sunday November 18th, Halifax Shopping Centre invites military
families to Halifax Shopping Centre for a Holiday Angel Celebration.


Activities will include:


* Free Santa photos. Photos can be directly emailed to loved-ones and
prints will also be available at no charge.

* Angel Face painting

* Holiday music

* Children's entertainers

* And holiday treats


Most importantly we will be inviting children to create an angel ornament
to be hung on one of Santa's Christmas trees in centre court. In return, each
child will receive their very own Festival Angel ornament to hang on their
Christmas tree at home.


The ornament each child will receive has been designed by artist Holly Carr
in support of our Canadian Forces. Holly will be on-hand to help the children
with their own angel ornament creations. These limited edition ornaments will
also be for sale throughout the holidays with all proceeds going to the Mental
Health Foundation of Nova Scotia. With every box purchased, a Festival Angel
ornament is donated to a Canadian Forces family in Atlantic Canada.





It was a nice time. I did have to speak to the DJ playing the Christmas music and ask him to please stop playing all the sad, sappy Christmas songs ("I'll Be Home For Christmas", "I'll Have A Blue Christmas Without You", etc), or he was going to have all these women in tears, as most of us are not going to have our husbands with us for Christmas. He said, "Oh my goodness, I never even thought", which I figured he didn't. So he promptly STOPPED playing "I'll Be Home For Christmas", and played Alvin and the Chipmunks, and other more upbeat songs.



We made ornaments, and got pictures taken with Santa, which were sent right to Daddy.



Here are the pictures that I took.














Andrew, Cody, Victoria, our friend Heather, and her little one Emily.









Heather and Emily.









My friend Beth, and her little one William.









My friend Laurie, and Beth with William.









Laurie and her sister, Jill, with Laurie's little one Ethan and Andrew.









Cody learned how to make balloon angels with Milo the Clown.





Andrew putting his ornament on the tree.











Merry Christmas!









Cody putting his ornament on the tree.









Victoria putting her ornament on the tree.









Victoria showing of the ornaments she made.




Heather and Emily, and the four of us went together, as her hubby is deployed on a different ship. He will be home next month, so their 6 months are almost over. We ran into Laurie and Beth while we were there, which was awesome! Their husbands are gone for a month, but will also be back for Christmas, however neither one of them is unfamiliar with being a "single mom" for 6 or 8 months, as their husbands have been deployed for extended periods of time as well.

I usually say that I really don't have any friends here in town, but when I stop and think, and look at all my pictures, I guess I really do. Just because we don't do a lot together, doesn't mean that if I ever needed them, or they me, we would not walk on coals for one another.

So, in the immortal words of Tiny Tim ~ God bless us, every one!



And so, today, this is...
Life As I Know It

8 comments:

Kelly said...

That is SO cool. :) When you're going through a tough time, there's nothing like have someone around who KNOWS just what you're dealing with.

Jo said...

Thats so nice to put something like that on for the families. I agree with Kelly, thank God you have a good support group around you who know exactly how you are feeling. Its been almost a month already and you're doing good. December will be even better especially the 10th to the 14th ;-)

MY LIFE AND NO ONE ELSES said...

I am glad you are getting out and about. Especially spending time with other families that are going through the same you are. Sometimes missing church is the best of the 2 options. The Lord always understands and He would not have made sure you got to the event and back safe and and sound. The pictures are beautiful...You are turning into quite a photographer. The kids look like they are hanging in there quite well... As always, you are in my prayers.

Life As I Know It / A Light In The Harbour said...

Yes things are so much easier when there are others who have gone before, who are walking with you, even ones coming in your footsteps.

It was 3 weeks yesterday, and I have not stopped. I checked my calendar last night. I have exactly 2 FULL days that I have nothing scheduled from now til January 3rd!

"Course the BEST days on the calendar are between the 9/10th to the 14th! YAY Niagara Falls! Can't wait to see you Jo!

Jo said...

Watch out Niagara Falls!!! Do you think I should warn them that we're coming??lol

Life As I Know It / A Light In The Harbour said...

That mightn't be a bad idea Jo!

RedFridayGirl said...

glad all is well and the pictures have turned out ggreat. I stopped over to your place over the weekend while I was in the passage but your truck wasn't in the driveway!

I hope all is well... Miss seeing you...

Life As I Know It / A Light In The Harbour said...

Hi Red. I was at Citadel Hill all weekend at the Victorian Christmas. Sorry I missed you. We'll have to get together soon.